Dear Colt Community,
Due to the most recent information from the AIA, we will be holding High School Winter Sport (M/W Basketball, M/W Soccer, M/W Wrestling) and Junior High 2nd Quarter Sport (Boys Basketball, Cross Country, Softball) tryouts sooner than expected. Due to multiple, in-depth conversations including several state level officials (including Dr. Cara Christ, Director of the AZ Dept of Health Services), it has been deemed that it is safer for our students to be in school or participating with an athletic team than anywhere else.
“Kids are not transmitting COVID during school or while involved in athletics!”
David Hines, Executive Director, Arizona Interscholastic Association
The AIA (High School Sport Governing Body) and the EVC (Junior High Sport Governing Body) has identified the start date for competitions as January 5th, 2021; however CUSD has given the go-ahead to hold tryouts for both High School and Junior High School on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2020 THROUGH WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 2ND. Times and locations for all tryouts will be announced this week.
Please note the following information for both High School and Junior High sports:
- The HS regular season will be from January 5th to February 19th, including play-in games. Playoffs will begin following the February 19th JH will begin the week of January 5th and end with playoffs finals on February 3rd.
- Athletes will be required to wear masks at all times, other than when in direct competition or training. Coaches must wear a mask at all times, without exception.
- All current COVID monitoring and safety procedures on campus will continue in order to ensure the safety of all participants.
- Spectators will not be permitted at try-outs, competitions or practices until all pre-determined metrics for the county have been met (both AIA and EVC).
- No Out-of-State Competitions, Scrimmages or Tournaments will be permitted.
- Private instruction or training is allowed to continue as long as it is 1-on-1.
- SPRING SPORTS will begin on February 15th
***IMPORTANT: Beginning Monday, November 30th, any coach or student involved in any club sport (regardless of sport type) may not participate with a Casteel team until there are 14 days separating their last club event (try-out/practice/game) from a Casteel event (try-out/practice/game). Student-athletes will be required to communicate any club affiliation to their coaches.***
Prior to Casteel tryouts, all athletes must be cleared via registermyathlete.com. If a student who is currently part of a Casteel team or participates in an Academy class has been quarantined due to close contact with a COVID positive individual, or has tested positive for COVID themselves, he/she must submit a District C-2 form to be eligible for tryouts. If the student has not yet participated in Casteel athletics, and has been in quarantine or tested positive for COVID, their physician can clear them for tryouts on their AIA Physical form that is submitted via registermyathlete.com. If a student has been placed in quarantine or has been absent from school for a COVID-related issue and cannot attend tryouts, he/she will be granted a full 3-day tryout upon return to school.
I appreciate your patience and understanding as we move forward with Casteel Athletics. Please know that safety and well-being of our Casteel Athletes is always our first priority. If you have any questions regarding any of the above information, please let me know.
Athletic Director/Assistant Principal
Casteel High School